Basil! My new favourite ingredient. For the past few weeks I have been using basil in almost all my dishes. I can’t say that I didn’t use it before. You will always find some dried basil in my kitchen. Besides, how can you make a good tomato sauce or a mozzarella-tomato salad without basil? But now it’s different. I am no longer satisfied with just a tablespoon of dried basil in my food. I want more.
I don’t know how this sudden love occured, but I really enjoy it. I buy fresh basil pots ( I am convinced that fresh leaves give a better flavor and aroma than the dried ones) from the groceries store and I use it everywhere. It doesn’t matter if it is food or beverage! I even used some basil in my recent raspberry lemonade! The only thing I haven’t tried so far ..it’s a basil cake? Hmm sounds interesting? Ok maybe not!
Of course this sudden-basil-obsession could only lead to one recipe! The ultimate basil recipe! The one that highlights the rich and deep flavor of basil. Pesto! Just a tablespoon of pesto can spice up and totally transform a pasta or salad dish. The fresh grated parmesan cheese with the toasted cashews and the basil make an irresistible combination. The lemon juice and the olive oil give this extra freshness that creates the perfect balance.
Add some of this homemade pesto sauce to your spaghetti or tagliatelle and you will have a fresh and delicious summer dish.
- 2 cups Basil Leaves
- ⅓ cup Cashews, toasted
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Garlic Clove, chopped
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt and pepper
- Place basil, garlic, cashews, parmesan and half of the olive oil into a food processor and pulse several times to combine.
- Add lemon juice to basil mixture; process until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining olive oil and stir smoothly with a spoon or spatula until everything is combined.
- Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.