Lovely Zucchinis. So green, juicy and summery. They are available all year round, but the taste does not even compare to the ones that you can find in the market during summer. When I am in Greece I usually enjoy this versatile, tasty, summer squash in a nice tavern, by the sea with good friends, wine and of course tzatziki.
There is a big variety of Greek stuffed-zucchini recipes. Stuffed zucchini with rice or meat is very popular, but my favorite recipe is this one. These are stuffed with Feta Cheese, Greek olive oils and tomatoes. I always make it during August, when you can find the most amazing, ripe and juicy tomatoes that burst with flavor. Besides, fresh and tasty vegetables at the peak of their season always make the best dishes.
This recipe is simple and delicious. You can even make the preparation in advance, keep it in the fridge and bake it the very last minute before serving. Enjoy!
- 4 zucchini, medium
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ripe and juicy tomatoes
- ⅓ cup good quality Greek olives, pitted & minced
- 100 gr feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp basil, dried
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp freshly ground black peppe
- 1 tsp parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180° C / 360° F.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp and seeds. Reserve the pulp and chop. Set aside.
- Rub zucchini all over with 2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a pan, covered with parchment paper and lightly oiled.
- Bake the zucchinis (empty) for about 20 minutes, until soften.
- In the meantime grate the tomatoes a medium bowl and add the zucchini pulp, garlic, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes and olive oil. Fold in feta cheese and olives.
- Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and divide mixture among zucchini shells. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Bake until the feta cheese has melt and top is lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.