What are the ingredients of your perfect sandwich?? I usually make a sandwich, when I am in a hurry and just looking for a quick on the go snack. A simple ham and cheese filling is usually enough, and if I am not too bored I might add some slices of tomato or lettuce. But lately I realized that with only a few extra touches, even an ordinary sandwich can be turned into the most delicious meal.
This one is my favorite sandwich for a Sunday brunch. And now that I think about it, I could gladly eat it for dinner too. Because the combination of the sweet roasted peppers and the avocado is just amazing. Because this oozy, sunny egg yolk on top just makes everything taste delicious.
This sandwich requires more time and preparation than your average ham and cheese one. But I am telling you, it really deserves the extra effort. The avocado-roasted peppers combination is rich and delicious. The poached egg on top makes this sandwich irresistible.
A layer of creamy avocado, roasted peppers and a poached egg on top of crusty bread. The perfect open-faced sandwich.
- 4 large slices of crusty sourdough bread
- 2 bell peppers (yellow, green or red)
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 2 avocado
- 4 eggs
- salt and black pepper
- fresh herbs (oregano, thyme, parsley or basil)
- To make the marinated roasted peppers: Pre-heat oven to 230° C. Cut the peppers in half, remove stem and seeds and place them on a baking sheet. Roast them for about 20-25 minutes or until the skin blisters and turns black. Remove the peppers from the oven, then place them immediately in a plastic container that can seal tightly. Close the lid and leave to steam and cool for at least 15 minutes. Remove the skins from the peppers by rubbing with your hands. Cut the peppers lengthwise into smaller strips, then place them back into the plastic container. Add the olive oil and vinegar, season well and let them marinate for 20-25 minutes. For the best flavor, let them marinate for 24 hours.
- To poach the eggs: Bring a pot of water to simmer (you need enough water to cover the eggs when they lay in the bottom) and add 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Break each egg into a small bowl or a teacup. When the water is just at the point of starting to simmer turn, off the heat and make a whirlpool with your spoon. Carefully slide the egg into the middle of the whirlpool. Cover the pot and poach for 4 minutes (for soft eggs). Gently remove eggs with a slotted spoon, Slide the egg onto a paper-towel covered plate. Repeat this process with the other eggs.
- To assemble the sandwich: In a small bowl, mash together 2 ripe avocados and season according to taste.
- Toast the bread. Add a generous layer of avocado spread over each slice of bread and top with a layer of roasted peppers.
- Top each slice with a poached egg, sprinkle with salt, pepper and a mix of fresh herbs.