Hot Chocolate! As odd as it might sound, I am not sure if I have ever bought hot chocolate at a cafeteria or restaurant. I am a huge coffee lover, so a cup of black coffee is what I usually order. Even though I love anything chocolate-y, when it comes to beverages it seems that coffee is the only way.
The thing is that I could easily eat sweet stuff like cakes/cookies/etc all day but my drinks.. I just want them sugarless. Call it coffee, call it tea.. I always drink it plain and black. So it’s almost impossible for me to order and indulge a rich hot chocolate, when most hot chocolates served out there are loaded with huge amounts of sugar, cream and other unspecified ingredients.
But sometimes I just want a steamy mug of rich and real hot chocolate. Simple as that.
You will only need 3 ingredients to make this one. Chocolate, milk, and cocoa. Add some orange zest to give a bit of an extra festive touch. This simple, homemade and festive hot chocolate is made with real chocolate and I can assure you that is better than anything you’ll buy from the store.
- 2-3 oranges (for peel and zest)
- 1 liter milk
- 140 g good-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa), finely chopped
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp honey (optional)
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel (orange part only) from 2 oranges.
- Pour milk into heavy large saucepan. Add orange peel to milk (reserve oranges for another use). Bring mixture to a gentle simmer, taking care it does not come to a boil. Stir occasionally and keep over low heat for 15 minutes to allow orange flavor to infuse.
- Remove the peels and add chopped chocolate and cocoa powder and honey (if using).
- Whisk until melted and smooth. Simmer 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of whipped cream or milk foam.
- Sprinkle with chocolate curls and orange zest.