There was a time (not so long ago, about two or three year ago), that for some reasons I couldn’t eat brie cheese. And now that I think about it, it doesn’t even make sense. We are not talking about a strong, weird tasting or smelling cheese! It is just brie.
Creamy, soft, mild and earthy Brie cheese. There is no reason not to like it. Luckily this bad “not eating brie” habit has gone now. It belongs to the past. Brie and I are good friends now. Every now and then I make this sandwich. Creamy brie, roasted mushrooms with thyme and garlic and a poached egg sitting on top of a toasted and crunchy slice of sourdough bread. I just love all these different textures and flavors.
This is definitely one my favorite sandwiches. Easy to make, this sandwich is the easiest weeknight meal when coming back from work or the perfect lunch for those lazy Sundays.
You can serve it as an open sandwich or put the second slice of bread on top. Either way it will still taste delicious.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100 gr mushrooms
- 1 tsp thyme, chopped
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 30 gr Brie cheese, cut into slices
- 1 egg
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the mushrooms, the garlic, salt and pepper. Saute until they start to caramelized and turn golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper if needed, add the thyme and remove from heat.
- To poach the egg: Fill a wide pot with water. Add one tablespoon of vinegar and boil. Reduce heat to low. Smash the egg and pour into a small bowl or teacup. When the water is just at the point of starting to simmer turn off the heat and make a whirlpool with a spoon. Carefully slide the egg into the middle of the whirlpool. Cover the pot and poach for 3-4 minutes. Gently remove eggs with a slotted spoon and slide the egg onto a paper-towel covered plate.
- To assemble the sandwich: Place one slice of bread on a plate and to it with slices of Brie. Cover with the mushrooms and put the poached egg on top. Season with salt and grind some black pepper over the top. Serve immediately